Sc.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1954
M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1949
B.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1947
Professor Cox has been at Washington University in St. Louis since 1955. In the 1960s, he founded the Biomedical Computing Laboratory, which pioneered the application of computers to applications in medicine. In the 1970s, he became the founding chairman of the Department of Computer Science, and guided the department's development and growth for more than 15 years.
He is a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the Acoustical Society of America (ASA) as well as the American College of Medical Informatics (AMIA). He is also a member of Eta Kappa Nu, Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi, NAS, and ACM. Washington University has awarded him with multiple honors, including the Distinguished Faculty Award and the Eliot Society Search Award.
The integrating theme of Professor Cox's research has been applications of advanced technology to practical biomedical problems.